What is Interior Design? Interior design is the art and science of understanding people’s behavior to create functional spaces within any building, or dwelling. Interior designers apply creative and technical solutions within a structure that are functional, attractive and beneficial to the occupants’ quality of life and culture. The interior design process follows a systematic and coordinated methodology — including research, analysis and integration of knowledge into the creative process — whereby the needs and resources of the client are satisfied to produce an interior space that fulfills the project goals. Interior design includes a scope of services performed by a professional design team, qualified by means of education, experience and examination, to protect and enhance the health, life safety and welfare of the public. These services may include any of the following tasks:
- Research and analysis of the client’s goals and requirements; and development of documents, drawings and diagrams that outline those needs.
- Formulation of preliminary space plans and two and three dimensional design concept studies and sketches that integrate the client’s program needs and are based on knowledge of the principles of interior design and theories of human behavior.
- Confirmation that preliminary space plans and design concepts are safe, functional, aesthetically appropriate, and meet all public health, safety and welfare requirements, including code, accessibility, environmental, and sustainability guidelines.
- Selection of colors, materials and finishes to appropriately convey the design concept and to meet socio- psychological, functional, maintenance, lifecycle performance, environmental, and safety requirements.
- Selection and specification of furniture, fixtures, equipment and millwork, including layout drawings and detailed product description; and provision of contract documentation to facilitate pricing, procurement and installation of furniture.
- Provision of project management services, including preparation of project budgets and schedules.